Golden Sultana Agrodolce
A little sweet, a little sour, Agrodolce is the condiment that you need in your life. Once you’ve tasted this sweet and sour treat, you’ll want to put it on everything!
Italian agrodolc is a sticky, tart-sweet condiment made by reducing sugar or honey, vinegar, and sometimes fruit and/or vegetables. Chef Michael Oliver uses a version punched up with golden sultanas. Just make a batch and start spooning it over roasted vegetables, on pasta, over seafood, chicken, pork, cheese you name it!
- 125ml Golden Sultanas
- 125ml lemon juice
- 125ml almond nibs
- 120ml Rio Largo Olive Oil
- I small red onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- ½ tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 Tbs Peels Orange Blossom Honey
- Sea salt
- 3 Tbs parsley, finely chopped
- In a small bowl, soak the sultanas in the lemon juice for a couple of hours.
- In a 20cm nonstick frying pan toast the almond nibs over low heat until they are golden brown and set aside.
- Wipe the pan out with kitchen paper and pour in 60ml of the Olive Oil, add the onion and fry over low heat until turning golden brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients with the last 60 ml olive oil. Bring to the boil and simmer for a short while.
- Take off the heat and allow it to cool. Taste and readjust the sweet and sour balance by adding more honey or lemon juice.