Rice, Calamari, Lemon and Parsley Risotto
This flavoursome risotto, courtesy of Michael Oliver, will leave your friends and family grinning with pleasure.
1850ml weak chicken stock
3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
3 fat cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
600g Arborio Rice
250ml dry white wine
2 Tbs lemon zest
2 Tbs parsley, finely chopped
2 Tbs Rocket, finely chopped
Lemon juice of one lemon
Sea Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Have ready a large ovenproof enameled casserole, and a stainless steel saucepan in which to keep the stock simmering.
- Over medium heat, add the olive oil and heat gently. Tip in the onions and stir fry until the onion starts turning golden brown. Add the garlic and the celery and stir fry for about 5 minutes, watch the heat and turned down if necessary. Add the rice and stir it into the onion mixture. You need to rice to be warm and covered in oil in order for it to accept the stock.
- Pour in the wine and allow to reduce. Add the lemon zest and then, ladle by ladle, add the stock stirring gently all the while. Continue cooking and stirring all the while until the stock is all absorbed, and the rice cooked. Add hot water if you need more liquid.
- When the rice is virtually cooked, add the calamari and cook gently for about 4 to 5 minutes, until the rings go opaque and are cooked through. Stir in the herbs and the lemon juice, season well with the sea salt and freshly ground white pepper. Cover and allow to stand for a couple of minutes.
- Grate a healthy amount of the cheese on top and serve.
As an accompaniment, a crisp baguette and white wine from the V’know Appreciation Pack.