steenberg_mccWinery location: Constantia

Wine of Origin: Western Cape

Winemaker: JD Pretorius


Background:. Steenberg already has a reputation for its excellent MCC’s, namely the 1682 Brut NV made from 100% Chardonnay and their vintage Pinot Noir Rose, but this week they launched their new addition, the Lady R, which will become their flagship MCC. Named after Steenberg’s first owner, Catharina Ustings Ras, who bought the land in 1662, was known as one of the most daring and controversial figures ever to settle at the Cape! She was a tough character who had to endure the harsh conditions of those early days in the Cape….however she survived the journey, along with marrying five times, so it was fitting to have this new addition honouring this fine lady!

The Lady R 2010 is made from Pinot Noir and Chardonnay grapes.  The initial making of the Pinot Noir base wine offered a delicate light pink colour with a fine strawberry flavour that makes up 60% of the blend. The remaining 40% was made up of barrel-fermented Chardonnay (in old 600litre French Oak). Once the base wines were fermented the wine was fermented for the second time in bottle and left on it’s lees for 55 months prior to disgorgement in April this year.

Always a  perfect way to start any meal (yes even breakfast) is to enjoy a glass or two of fine bubbly and the launch last week of the Lady R was at Steenbergs restaurant, Catharina’s (also named after the founder!) at a magnificent late morning brunch. The day was balmy and so the cold rich bubbly slid down easily (it has a delightfully low alcohol of 11.5%) which started the gastric juices to flow, encouraging us to make our choices from the delicious buffet.

Result:  Pale gold hues entice you to take in the delicate aromas of spicy toastiness with a lemony and yeasty fragrance. Fresh and crisp palate with good acidity balancing the yeasty depth of brioche flavours which gently lead to a long and smooth finish.

When to drink: now till 2020

Drink with what: Anytime, any occasion!

Expect to pay: R415.00

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>